EDUCATION WASTED

I am wondering…

Is there a bus
Along with a time traveling machine
That serves the purpose to
Take people to
Destination: Black History

I ask this because…

I would like to complete
A mission
That mission is to take
Millions of my fellow
Young black children
Black to the 1800’s
And 1900’s
To see up close and personal
How many of our ancestors
And other brothers and sisters
Were slaves
Fought for equality of rights
Just like the white man
Didn’t have freedom
Didn’t have the opportunity
To get an education
Were lynched and
Beaten to death
And experienced things
So horrific
Like walking through a dark
Valley full of shadows

I feel the need to do this because…

It is so sad
How so many of my
Fellow young people
Have a key dangling
In front of their faces
This key is for freedom
And for a free school education
And to a set of doors
Leading to so many different
Roads with success written all over them
They are really so smart
And have the potential to be
Lawyers
Teachers
Doctors
Motivational speakers
Authors
Actors
Sports stars
Musicians
Business owners
Clothing designers
Government workers
With millions of other possibilities
All in the palms of their hands
Yet their priorities
Are all mixed up

I’m tired of seeing…

So many
Of my own
African America youth
Tossing ever opportunity
They receive
To get an education in school
Or read books in a library
In the trash
And how they find joy
In showing out in school
In tearing each other down
And being so foolish
In general

If there’s a time travel machine…

Somebody please let me know
Because these children
That are so blinded
And just let education be wasted
Need to take a trip
Back in time
When Harriet Tubman
Dr. King
Rosa Parks
And so many other
Beautiful Blacks
Had to face the struggle

Leave a Reply